Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The Good Tired

Samily is winging her way westward, she's probably over Californiai by this point. After work last night we found a dive-ish bar called Le Tavern that wasn't too crowded and had no cover and watched the ball drop. They even served a splash of champagne in a syrofoam cup at midnight. Classy. I think it was probably the best New Year's I've ever had, even though I'm sad because I don't know when I'll see Sam again. We had another greazy diner feast, and then came home and slept for a couple hours before getting up and heading to O'Hare. I'd like to make some grand statement like "the next time I go to O'Hare I'M going to be the one getting on a plane!~" but the truth is if you come visit me I'll be there with bells on. Wagging my tail.

so Sam is gone, the Christmas tree went home with dad, my birthday flowers finally had to go, the house is a little emptier. I came home determined to stay up, but ended up falling asleep over a pile of thank-you cards and my new journal. (oh-Sam, btw, I ended up using your coat as a pillow on the bus ride home and I drooled on it a little. Sorry.) I slept for about four hours, curled up caterpillar-like on the sofa in a cocoon of warmth. The radiator in my room, while hot, is not quite the level of "inferno" that the ones in the living room are. That, combined with the afternoon sun which I love to nap in anyway, conspired to keep me sleepy. I rose about two and a half hours ago and banged out my Sweeney Todd essay--less a review than a rumination on the role of the chorus and "the Ballad of Sweeney Todd" and now I'm debating whether or not I should order food for dinner, have pizza, a veggie burger, pasta, what. The problem is not that I have food, the problem is that I am Lazy and the kitchen is cold.

The holidays are over. I have to confess, I'm a little relieved. This will mean less hours at work, but it will also mean less crazy commuting, less running around, less eating the bad food, etc. etc. I'm a little worn out--happy, but worn out--and looking forward to catching up on my sleep and eating normal food. I'm excited about 2008. It's going to be a good year, I can tell, and I'm very excited about what the future has in store.

No comments: