Friday, January 11, 2008

ballocks.

I arrived home after working last night to find an email from my boss at Job A saying that "due to budgetary constraints" Saturday was going to be my last day. Not fired--but this assignment is over. I hate temping. A call to my agency confirmed this ("yes, they called me last night" Ah. And when were you going to tell me?!) According to the agency, I got A+ reviews, so it's just a matter of finding a new assignment. Right. On a Friday morning. Sure. I was hoping to spend all morning hunched over my pretty new sewing machine, but maybe I'll break out the resumes. Dar.

All is not lost, however, for yesterday I had a good job interview. Afterwards I went to Macy's for a cup of tea and some cake, but I was sorely disappointed. The waitress brought out a lovely wooden box with the Tazo logo carved in the top and I thought "ah! Tazo! How Elegant!" but when I opened it, the little nooks were filled with Lipton. LIPTON! I know I'm being a snob, but jay-hensu, come on Macy's you cheapskate store, with your fifty-dollar dog treats and your twelve-foot tall moose, you can't buy some REAL TEA? Yes, the cake was very good, but really now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twinings Tea is where it's at.

Jack Petersen said...

Think of all of this as life giving you background material for the book or play you are going to write.

Twinings tea is okay, but there are some Russian teas that blow Twinings out of the water.

Hang in there. Remember, "it's always darkest just before it gets totally black."

Nicki said...

Twinings is good, though I find it's a little weak unless you let it seep for five minutes. I prefer PG Tips or Tetley's here in US--it's the same blend as England, so you only need to steep it for thirty seconds. (key for those oh-so-brief commercial breaks) Otherwise, when I'm feeling particularly snobby, Whittards of Chelsea...

Laura Ingalls Wilder actually used that phrase "the darkest hour is just before dawn" in her book Little House on Plum Creek for a chapter title. I always thought that chapter was creepy and weird--she describes a flat, grey day after a rainstorm and the weird sensations in the air. but then she finds her doll, Charlotte, who's been discarded by the child she gifted it to, so it turns out to be a good day. I myself prefer Scarlett O'Hara's mantra: "Tomorrow is another day!"

Laura said...

tazo, stash, celestial seasonings, even lipton green tea....hmmmm....
tazo is great even though they never answered my email about what is a tea shaman and how do you get to be one, and stash never sent me their free catalogue. Neither did Traditional medicinals, now that I think of it.

I was going to ask you if chicago has a china town and if you could send me some Jasmine tea for a friend mine with whom I will be celebrating Chinese New Year Romanian style in feb, but then I found some Jasmine Green tea here in my town! Hope its good. Now Im getting hungry and i wanna cuppa...

Anonymous said...

Russian tea better than Twinings? You're crazy, Jack. Unless it's laced with vodka or something, in which case I agree that it could be a good pick-me-up.

Nicki, it depends on the particular blend as to how long it takes to brew. If you've been to France you'd notice the tea is particularly weak, as they tend to drink it sans milk, usually with a little lemon juice. Hence Twinings teabags in France are a gram or so lighter.

Kettle's boiled, good bye!