Friday, June 01, 2007

Stresses of the Day

Yesterday I thought that I was going to work for the next two weeks, when the agency called me back and said because I had gotten a bad review on my last placement, they weren't going to send me out on any longer placements. Even when I (politely) explained that I was in some financial difficulties and please give me another chance, they remained firm. Fine. I can understand where they are coming from--obviously I did somethings that were displeasing to the place, but here's what drives me crazy: instead of telling me, right there, right then, "Please don't do this," they instead save it all up for the temp agency to come back and smack me a week later, leaving me wondering "well, you SAID I could drink at the desk as long as I did it discreetly..." Ladies, gents, if your temp is doing something wrong, tell THEM, we want feedback as much as your regular employees.

That's not to say I didn't stretch the limit--fair enough. I'm just feeling resentful and slightly bitter, so I do what I always do and threw myself a little pity party. Lots of journaling which went something like this: "despair, despair, why me, what's wrong with my life, blah blah blah..." Got very boring. After awhile I started wondering why I was so upset about a TEMP job when I am a WRITER, so even though I'm feeling shitty, at least there's always words.

And then I lined up two more job interviews. Although I think I might start writing a book about me in London and I've finally started to get an idea about what to write a PhD on. Because if there's one thing I did well (to my shock and surprise) it was school.

One of the actors had the best reaction hearing my bad day. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Eh. So you eat ramen for a week. It happens." This coming from an improv actor with a baby and a wedding in two months. If he can have that attitude, surely I can get it together as well.

In the meantime, I'm taking today off (at least until I have to go to my job interview) to work on a book proposal.

No comments: