Tuesday, June 05, 2007

brolly weather

What's that saying? "It never rains but it pours?" A mere four days after my little pitty-party I'm feeling much more optimistic about everything in general. I have a job interview this afternoon with a real company, not a temp agency, I have an interview for a dramaturg position next week and--best of all--I'm being PAID to write an article about a musical.

hang on a sec...

*gets down on knees*

Dear Jesus. Thank you for answering my prayers. Thank you for letting me use the skills which I acquired in school and in London for the powers of good. I won't let you down.

I know I get excited about things and expect jobs and opportunities to fall out of the sky--but if there is one thing I picked up in London, it's that you have to pursue and be tenacious. Also slightly self-promoting. But, finally, I don't have to say, "I can do that, give me a chance!" I can walk into a room and say "I can do that because I've already done it." Thank you Jesus.

In other news, the long-awaited and highly anticipated "Entertainer" DVD finally arrived, so I spent an hour and fifteen minutes drooling slightly watching an aging Laurence Olivier go through his paces. I attempted to maintain a professional, detached interest in Olivier's performance. Failed. Well--it is Laurence Olivier. I did not realise, btw, that Joan Plowright, who later became his wife, played his daughter in the movie. Weird. Also slightly creepy. And then--just as Archie Rice's world started to fall apart, the DVD stopped. Stuck. Did not skip, did not play after frantic hits of the "fast-forward" button, just stopped. I am so mad. I have no problem with cheap Chinese imports (after all "That Hamilton Woman" originally had Cantonese subtitles, before I figured out how to turn them off) but DVDs that don't play are UNACCEPTABLE. So I'm going to try to get my money back, and y'all will have to wait for my brilliant play vs film analysis until later.

Arg--I wanted to write about George Washington's fake teeth, but I have to go iron my coat. Tomorrow

No comments: