Wednesday, June 13, 2007

me jaunty jarvey's car

This is the song I had in my head when I walked out the house...it's a song from "Unexplained Frequencies" --no, that's not the title of the show, wait...yes it is, anyway-- you know the one I'm talking about, the musical I saw at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Of COURSE, since there's no SOUNDTRACK, I only know about two lines, so my poor brain was looping it over and over until it just became "me jaunty jarvey's car--jarvey's car!" Have mercy on me, please Gods of Musical Theatre and release this album. Thank you.

In other news, I found out that Don Herbert died last week. Don Herbert--aka Mr. Wizard--was on one of my favourite TV shows when I was a kid. He had all these crazy science projects that you could do at home with normal household things, to teach you about science, and also to make a huge mess. Some of my favourite memories are of my dad getting me out of bed early before school so we could watch Mr. Wizard together. Mr. Wizard, even though I didn't lead a life of Scientific Discovery, you will be sorely missed.

Today was the first day at work where I felt like I had my ducks in a row. I'm finally starting to get some of the technical lingo down, and making inroads with being friends with some of my co-workers. This is not easy, since the great majority of them are engineers; basically, my uncle Paul--who's a great guy!--but hard to talk to sometimes. Also highly competitive when playing Go. But I'm starting to like my job. I feel like I'm actually contributing something to this company, and to Chicago. One of the projects we're bidding on is an expansion of two harbors along Lake Michigan--one of which might be used for the Olympics, if Chicago wins their bid. I knew about it three days before it hit the papers, and I hope we get this project so I can point to it in the future and say "look! I did that!" Not that they're going to give me a free boat for assembling a proposal, but there it is.

I'm a lot less stressed, which is a nice feeling. The only nagging feeling is: will I be able to continue in theatre if I'm working full time? I don't have the answer right now--but with no immeidate theatre projects, it's nice to be able to work full time and sock some money away. For the future...and puppies.

No comments: