Friday, January 13, 2006

Yoga class of DOOM

I just finished with a yoga class, New Year's resolutions be damned, and now I feel like I've just been put through the wringer. It was a very intensive yoga class--I've never broken a sweat before--but much to my amazement I was able to (mostly) keep up. The only pose I had a problem with was the shoulder stand. The teacher said: "okay, on your backs, then feet up in the air and onto your shoulders" and my body kind of sniggered and went "yeah right" and the next thing I know this guy has me by the ankles and is like, "okay? ready?" and the NEXT next thing I know my feet are hovering about six inches above my face. (this is a good thing) I've always been flexible, but I haven't done anything like this since I was about ten, so I was quite surprised that I could still do it. My hamstrings, however, which have been largely ignored up to this point, are screaming to be left alone (in much the same way that the American colonies were in the 1760s--I'm expecting a Declaration any day now) and my wrists are sitting quietly in a corner, whimpering to themselves. :)

Not much else going on. I'm reading a fantastic American history book what I bought back in Green Bay (and, since I dragged it all the way here, I figured I better read it) called "Freedom Just around the Corner" which is why most of my dialogue is peppered with random historical facts all of a sudden again. And The Essay is nearly done. Infact, when I finish up here I'm going to finish the bibliography, edit it once more and hand 'er in. Yesterday my class went to a staged reading of a new play that was pretty good. The poor producer wanted to know what we-all thought, but all I could think of was "must pick her brain to know how to start own theatre company..." so I'm afraid I wasn't much help. Tomorrow I'm planning on going to see this "Brokeback Mountain" I've heard so much about. No breeches or periwigs, so I can't promise I'll like it, but I'll try.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love your description of yoga. It had me giggleing. Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed it.

Laura said...

Aw, I haven't been to yoga class in forever. When did 9a.m. on a Saturday become early? Well I guess last Saturday I went to bed at 7a.m. I haven't worked out all week and I probably won't tonight or tomorrow either. Mlah!