Monday, January 23, 2006

And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Aaargh! More Sondheim! I can justify it, promise--we studied "Company" in class today, which means that I had to watch a production of it for homework. (whoohoo!) Here's a picture from the Donmar revival in 1996 that I watched. (directed by Sam Mendes, who just did "Jarhead" starring Jake Glyllenhal who made out with Heath Ledger who is in "Casanova" which is a film being made by the main character in "Nine" so you see it really does all come back to musicals)




I thought that having Bobby being played by a black person was an interesting choice, especially since the rest of the cast (with the exception of Harry) was white. So not only is Bobby having angst because he's not married in a world which desperately wants him to be, he now appears to be struggling against a racial divide as well. (as opposed to Harry, who has married a white woman and "conformed.") I'm sure that's not what the director intended, but, as we all know, what makes it into the script and what the audience gets are wildly different things. :) The second picture is of Amy. I just LOVED this costume design--the dress ends at about her knees, and is reminiscent of a little girl's dress, which complements her childish "crazy" attitude perfectly. You go, Donmar!

I went to another party this weekend, this one in the City. It was less fun than the first one, because the men there were positively predatory. I did enjoy myself, but it was weird having guys paying attention to me! Usually I go to dance and I'm not molested--this time I was beating them off with a stick. It's a very weird feeling. I don't know if I'll go back to this party: the group that was putting it on charged more, there was no food this time, the drinks were more expensive, and the party ended early because someone punched a (female) bartender. I don't regret going because I got to hang out with Deb, and I did meet SOME interesting people, but overall, I think I prefer the Livin' it Large party. Of course, now I have no money for theatre tickets, so I won't be seeing anything this week, and that cannot continue to happen. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Theatre? Marriage? Theatre? Marriage? You see what you look for, you know.

No comments: