Saturday, August 23, 2008

Meet the New Man In My Life



For all of you out there going, "oh no, Nicki, you didn't..."

Yes, yes, I did.

Meet Kismet. This is another reason I've been so quiet lately. The stress of work and trying to keep my roommates organised has been compounded by the fact that I've been busy adopting a beagle this week. Kizzy was found wandering next to a highway down in North Carolina, just about the time I was getting serious about finding a dog, and through a network of dog rescuers, we were introduced and I decided to make him mine.

I had to jump through a million hoops: the adoption agency wanted to make sure I was serious and capable of taking care of a dog, and the landlord had a dozen requirements as well. I wasn't sure if I was going to bring him home this weekend or not, but in the end it all worked out. Erin, Nicole and I drove about an hour to meet up with a willing volunteer who had brought him from North Carolina, and an hour after that, he was here in Williamsburg.

Kizzy's pretty young, probably less than a year, but he's housebroken and fantastically good with people. He has an incredible amount of energy though, so we're both going to be signing up for obedience classes, as well as getting him trained not to jump up and lick people in the face. I never thought I'd love a little dog, but he's only eighteen pounds and thirteen inches high at the shoulder--but he's about as much personality as a dog four times his size. I'm so happy to have Puppy in my life again. I just hope I'm up for the task.



Kizzy entertains me and Erin

5 comments:

Unknown said...

He may be small...but he certainly isn't a puntable. Congrats! Now I'll really have to try for that trip out to Williamsburg...

Greta said...

Congrats!!! That's so awesome :) Finally a puppy!!

Laura said...

Oh, Congratulations on your adoption! I'm so happy for you! Jealous you have a puppy in your life and selfishly worried he might slow you down on your way to visit me, but happy for you nonetheless. Kisses Kismet! Welcome to The Family!

Anonymous said...

He's ADORABLE! Congrats! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh,kismet Hardy:)))))He is so cute..Congrats!