Thursday, August 10, 2006

total writer mode

I've got my glasses on...got my cup of fairtrade coffee in my "Guardian" mug...hair up in messily attractive pony tail...that's right, I'm in full-on distracted novelist mode. Now all I need is a boarhound named Wolfgang snoozing in front of the fire whilst I clean out my pipe. Yes, I'm determined to be productive today, even if it is only a 2,000 word reflective essay for school.

I thought I'd update everyone with Plans for My Life, since they are falling into place. The show is over this Saturday, strike, etc, to follow. Then Thursday, a mate and I are taking off to Edinburgh for some much needed holiday and theatre-seeing. Then! joy of joys! Mom and Dad are coming to visit me, so we'll be doing the touristy thing in London and possibly Ireland. My visa is still good until January, and now that I'm done with classes, I can work full time, so I'm planning on getting an apartment with some friends until then at least, and seeing what will happen. I've been sending out job apps, and Tuesday I went to Kelly Services--where I spoke with James who, he assures me, is only working at Kelly until he gets his big acting break. If I'm temping again, at least I'm...temping in London. And just this afternoon I got a call from another assistant director, so it sounds like I'll be stage managing a show in the evenings starting next week...for free again, but, eh. I also, speaking of sheer audacity, applied at the National Theatre for an ASM, but if they do me the honor of spitting on my application before lighting it on fire and throwing it into the Thames, I'd be flattered.

It's very strange to have been living in the city for nearly a year. And now I don't really want to leave. If I can't find full-time work before January I'll have to, but until then I'm going to enjoy this as much as I can. This also means, however, all you slackers out there have an other four months to come and visit me--and soon you'll have a shiny apartment to visit instead of a boring old dorm room, so get your pennies together and come here!!!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Would it be totally stupid of me to visit you in January - come home- pack - and leave the country for two years in Februrary? I may have heard of moore foolish things, but it's difficult to think of what they are...

Remember when you came to visit me and we went on my class tour of the National. The girl there giving the tour was a student and she said she stage managed somewhere else, but she volunteered at the National to give tours just so the people there got to know her and knew what she was capable of when she told them about her other jobs. Might be worth a try. - Not that you have that much more time you can give away for free.

Unknown said...

Well, if London kicks you out in January, that means you might be back in the states for my thesis! Break a leg on the job hunt