Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Too nice to look for work

ya know, when the bus is on time...and moving fast enough to get a breeze...and it's not full of annoying children...and you can sit down...busses are kind of fun. I think the word "trundling" was invented to describe how they move. Trundle, trundle, trundle...

My cold is much better, but it's settled into my ears, so my equilibrium is off, and I'm still tired. I suspect this may also be due to the fact that someone replaced my mattress with a bag of concrete blocks when I wasn't looking. Seriously. I have THE MOST uncomfortable mattress in the world. Speaking of--I was in Lewisham today--and I saw a man and woman testing out new beds in the window of a furniture store. Everybody now: "awww." This must be what the great mystery of being married is. Instead of sleeping on a bag of concrete blocks you get to buy your own damn bed. Of course, the idea of owning furniture is only slightly less scary than being married.

there was something else I wanted to...oh, yes, hang on...let me get my...journal...mrr...(another side effect of Getting Better: the inability to focus. FYI, all the cues came on time last night, except the doorbell didn't work the first time because ONE SOUND JACK was HALFWAY OUT OF THE SOCKET. AAAAAHHHH...)

Okay, here's what I wanted to write about. I'm reading plays for the Finburra (which I'm going to misspell from now on, because the artistic director once googled the theatre, found my blog and now teases me about making fun of the designers) and one of the plays I read included this quote:

"To be ignorant of many things and to be mistaken in some is the necessary condition of humanity." -John Wesley.

The play was not that great, but that quote really struck me. I have always professed my ignorance of Things in General, but it never occured to me that this is a necessary part of learning things. Just as the planets could not be suspended in space without the vacumn of Nothing. The important thing is to remember that we none of us have the whole answer.

which reminds me of an actual conversation I had with someone when I was sixteen:

"I hate stupid people."
"Yeah, ignorant people piss me off."
"Well, ignorant people are okay, but it's the stupid ones who--"
"What do you mean? That's the same thing."
"No, stupid people are just thick. Ignorant people just don't have the information yet."
"..."
"See, a few seconds ago you were ignorant. Now you're just stupid."
"Whatever."
"I rest my case."

PS: Can someone send me the playlist for "Sunday in the Park With George?" For some reason Napoleon decided to rearrange the songs and I can't remember how they go...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Here's what I pulled from my DVD of Sunday in the Park with George:

1. Sunday in the Park with George, 2.No Life/ Une Baignade Asnieres, 3. Color and Light, 4. Gossip, 5. The Day Off, 6. Everybody Loves Lois, 6. Finishing the Hat, 7. We Do Not Belong Together, 8. Beautiful, 9. Sunday/ Intermission, 10. It's Hot Up Here, 11. Putting it Together, 12. Children and Art, 13. Lesson #8, 14. Move On, 15. Sunday

I hope this helps :)