Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The TV is talking to me

If London Underground's response to someone writing "Eddie Murphy thinks it's okay to make fun of large women!" on a Norbit poster is to remove said poster from the platform...they're not exactly encouraging people to stop making political statements on movie posters. Is all I'm saying.

Speaking of vandalism, I read an article about how when the Hitler waxwork went on display at Madame Tussauds in 1933 it was promptly splashed with red-paint by some far-seeing Communist. It was removed, used as evidence in the subsequent trial, cleaned up and put back on display...where it was promptly hit with red paint and tomatoes again. Eventually Madame Tussaud's put it behind glass, but even then they had to clean the glass daily because people spit on it. The figure was eventually "liberated" in 2002, and is now the "third" most hated figure in the collection, behind Osama bin Laden and...I forget the other guy. I haven't been to Tussaud's yet, but I think I'll go in the window between the show closing and me leaving. Looking forward to seeing all the historical waxworks--I'm more interested in the fact that Hitler was paint-bombed and survived a direct hit during WWII than looking at some stupid celebrities. Also they have a Nelson figure. I feel bad that Hitler's only the third most hated figure though. I mean, historically, he's caused a bit more caos than bin Laden. Maybe I should take some paint along and show that all is not forgotten.

No comments: