Wednesday, February 28, 2007

HRH and other important things

I'm all moved out of my flat...all my possessions, boiled down to two suitcases, one box and my backpack. Now. If I could just remember where I put everything...I am very sore from cleaning and also lugging suitcases around. Can barely clamber into the tech box at the Finn (in manner vaguely reminiscent of some ancestral sailor, except instead of carrying a knife in my mouth it's usually my mobile...).

Meanwhile, I was shocked to discover life continued apace in the City on the river...apparently Prince Harry (that's the younger one--not the heir, the spare) is going to Iraq. Well, his regiment is, and he is going as well, although with some special agents to "mind" him. Naturally the British public is outraged that they're going to be footing the bill to pay for a set of babysitters, but I think it's great. I'd rather have trained killers being paid to protect royalty by using their skills than sitting around getting bored. Tony Blair has announced that Britain will be decreasing their troop presence in Iraq signifigantly, bowing to some public pressure, at last. I'm slightly cynical that Harry going to Iraq might be the best PR move the royal family has made in the past decade...although I shudder to think what the outpouring of grief might be like if he actually doesn't make it back.

Also a good week for the royals because Helen Mirren, who played The Queen in the movie The Queen (which is really good, btw, go see it), has been invited to the palace to take tea with The Queen. The real one. Not "meet" her, not have her photo taken with her, but TAKE TEA WITH THE QUEEN. Sweet hell. How cool would that be? I would love to take tea with The Queen, just for the opportunity to feel like and idiot as I fumbled with my cucumber sandwich, making an idiotic remark about Nelson (as I am wont to do) whilst spilling the beverage of the Nation on my neatly pressed skirt. I definitely think The Queen (the movie) has done more for The Queen's (The Queen) image than anything she's done for herself lately, even travelling on commuter train. Lucky Dame Helen!

No comments: