Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Galvanised

Like a tin pail, I have suddenly become galvanised about the future. I know, I know "Again?" I hear you cry. It all started when I got an interview for the Bristol Renaissaince Faire, and I was talking about it with Niki, our director. It would be cool! I said, but she asked me if it would really help me in my game plan. Overall, that is. Well, I don't know, I said, I'm not sure I have a game plan. What do you want to doooo with the fuuuuture? she asked me. Well, that's easy, I want to start a theatre company. So then she started asking me more questions about what kind of theatre company and I started talking about all the potential in places like Green Bay, but how they were lacking...dedicated, professional theatre people (me, basically, if I can say so in all humilty) to take amateur productions to the next step. Also there is never any new drama. But as I was talking, I started to listen to myself for the first time. I sounded like a three year old jabbering about her new pony. This isn't the first time I've talked about starting a company "when I grow up." And then I realised, as I listened to how excited I was sounding that maybe...maybe the time has come. I keep thinking about the potential for starting a company the right way, not some "lets do a play in a warehouse" or crappy St Nobby's summer stock, but real, new drama, but a proper company with a mission statement and a three year plan. I'm going to get some books on starting a small business and start reading about getting funding and grants so that I can start a self-sustaining company that will feed my ego. No, seriously, I've seen enough good/bad/inbetween theatre to know what I want to do, now all that's left to do is...do it. Before, as Niki pointed out, I've got to start paying a mortgage or having babies. And think how nicely a dog would fit into the picture if I was working for myself.

I went to see "Love Song" tonight--had a fish 'n chips and ale then off to the theatre, I LOVE london!--because it is literally a now or never situation, as the show closes on Friday. Oh, it is a good play. Such a good play. I could really relate to it--the dialogue and all the scenes were like snapshots lifted out of real life. Cillian Murphy is a genius. He was so good I forgot he was Cillian Murphy. I walked out of the theatre feeling uplifted, but a little sad for the main character--it's a play about love after all, but he ends up alone. I think I'm impressed the tweeners sitting next to me though about my comment about "my friend? who works at Steppenwolf? In America? Yeah, she saw it and she said it was really good." That's what I want to do--start the next Steppenwolf. hmm....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, you don't ever have to start having babies if you don't want to. Well, ....

Cathy said...

You saw Love Song!!!!! I am so excited. I so wish I could have seen this production as a comparison because I really loved the play when I saw it. It is kind of a bittersweet ending, but one filled with hope. Who was the actress playing Beane's sister when you saw it? I heard somewhere that Molly Regan (Steppenwolf ensemble member, role originator) was stepping in for the actress playing the role because of illness or injury or something. Anyways, I just had to share my excitement for you!!!