Monday, February 12, 2007

Censored?

For only the second time since I started writing, I've taken some content off my blog. One of the associate directors at the theatre (a friend of mine) called me up and asked me to delete all references to the show I'm working on. Reason being, if you google the theatre, my blog comes up and it doesn't look very professional if the stage manager is complaining about the actors. It never even occured to me that people other than those of you whom I have given my address to would read this, so I was shocked when I suddenly realised total strangers, seeking information about the theatre might suddenly come across my whingy rants. (and they have been whingy lately--I have not been at my best, have I?) Naturally I took down everything about referring to the theatre. Now I'm just positively horrified at myself--reading back over what I've written. How unprofessional have I been? I should have confined myself to a journal or a sympathetic ear, in private. I've forgotten about what a public forum the internet can be. I'm embarassed and ashamed, and going to be keeping it in from now on. Durrr.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel. Sometimes these blogs feel so much like a journal, and it is hard to imagine anyone we don't know reading them. I always assume no one is reading mine if they don't leave a comment. But don't beat yourself up about it. you didn't know they'd get to your blog through Google - and personally if I googled the theatre and read your blog it would make me more likely to see the show. We live in culture of celebrity and privileged "insider" information. Think about. But don't feel too bad about.

Anonymous said...

you know if you lived in america you could say anything you want

Anonymous said...

after reading what i said , I realized it didn't read as funny as I meant it to be. sorry

Unknown said...

Don't feel too bad about it. I had to do the same thing...and consequently try to avoid using names, at least full ones, as much as possible.