Friday, February 23, 2007

Jekyll and Hyde is a crap musical

Not even, but the lyrics are so terrible that I can't bear to listen to it. Why do I do it then, I hear you ask? Well, I've decided to give some of the more neglected shows in my collection another listen...so far I've mostly confirmed my resolution to not listen to them. Although, J&H does bring back good memories of painting in Point when I had my CD player (old skool!) strapped on, trying to stay out of everyone's way as I completed assignments. Speaking of Jekyll and Hyde, does anyone remember a bad movie call "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?" It had the potential to be such a cool film and then the movie makers had to ruin it by turning it into a vehicle for Sean Connery when, let's face it, his only vehicle at this point should probably be a Rascal. There is some kind of sub-genre out there about ninteenth century people who have somehow managed to accomplish great thing scientifically before it was technically possible. See "League" also "Wild, Wild West," "Brothers Grimm," and there was one other one...anyway, "League" was on the other night, and I was watching it, fascinated, because the CGI in this movie was so bad. It was early days, after all, but even by those standards it was baaaaad. The guy playing Jekyll and Hyde was quite good though. When o when will filmmakers learn that there is still no substitute for the real thing? Also no substitute for quality acting: "Wild, Wild West" may get zero stars out of five, but it's still a joy to watch because Kenneth Brannagh manages to bring something real to the comedy bitterness of his character, even with a ridiculous beard and southern accent.

Speaking of Southern accents, when is Manhunt going to be made?! And more importantly, who's going to play John Wilkes Booth?!

All right, I confess, I'm just avoiding cleaning and packing. Now that I have all this free time I don't know what to do but sit around and surf the internet. I did send out another five resumes today...at least I think it was five, I kind of lost count after awhile. I do have a job offer in California, near where "Sideways" took place. Money-wise, it's about as good as I can expect, and the contract would go through December, potentially. So what's stopping me? Well, at first I tried to put a brave face on leaving London by saying, bracingly, "No, it will be good to go home and be near family again!" but now I am sincerely looking forward to going home and being near family...and I suddenly don't want to go away again. Of course, the image of me floating around wine country and walking my dog on the beach compared to me slogging through two feet of snow is appealing. There is a sort of unwritten rule in theatre: never turn down paid work so I can't believe I'm even considering saying no when the only other option would be temping unless I heard back from other theatres, but...it's very uncool and old-fashioned to say that you'd like to settle down, have a family, be stable, especially when you're in your early late twenties, but I feel a lot older, what with all the traveling and moving I've done. Stability would be a nice change, which is why I keep harping on about the damn dog. I'd like to move into a place knowing I'd be there in a year, invest in all the little condiments that you only use once in a blue moon that hover in the backs of cabinets for years, things like that which don't happen when you have to move every six months....oh, that reminds me, I must go consolidate the onion powder and onion granules into one shaker. :P

1 comment:

Chris said...

I don't know Nicki... Me personally i'd take the job in CA. It might lead to more work etc. and its beautiful out there. BTW what theatre is it with??