Tuesday, January 23, 2007

itchy wool sweaters!!!

It's finally cold here, although I had to laugh at the inch of salt on the sidewalks for the fistful of spitty snow that we got last night. Am wearing my green wool sweater which itches a lot but which is, despite appearances, the warmest thing I own.

I'm enjoying my last week at work--it's mostly making sure that everything is caught up so Lois can pick up where I left off--but I'm also helping other people with time consuming things, like filling out slow-loading webpages and being on hold. I spent a lot of time on hold today, to Spain, which has some great hold music. Here's a conversation I had with one of my bosses:

Me: Hello, Rick, what's up?
Rick: (who is an American) Ah, geez, I'm going to need to change my flights... (Rick has been working in Frankfurt for the last two months)
Me: Okay, let me get your calendar... (which is on the computer and is slow)
Rick: Last week, huh? How's everything going there?
Me: Oh, you know, not too bad. Spent most of the morning on Wikipedia reading about the Victory.
Rick: Victory? What? I thought you were a Packers fan!
Me: What?
Rick: The Bears victory--they're going to the Superbowl.
Me: No, Rick, I was reading about HMS Victory, you know, Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar.
Rick: Oh. (pause) Of course.
Me: But, if I did care about football, I would root for the Bears.
Rick: Me too. The Colts beat the Eagles last week. (Rick is from Philadelphia)
Me: I'm very sorry to hear that.
Rick: Yeah, well.
Me: Nelson and Victory!
Rick: What?
Me: Your calendar finally loaded.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What did he think Wikipedia would have to say about the Bears victory over the New Orleans Saints is my question?