Monday, January 22, 2007

I was wondering what to blog about...

…when I got an answer to my Question.

Has anyone else tried Yahoo Questions? They’re great. You ask a question and then anyone can answer it. I’ve used it on several occasions when I needed a new idea. It feels a little bit like a magic eight ball—you never know what you’re going to get. My last question was simply “What historical things should I see in Paris?” with a little explanation saying that I’m ded interested in Napoleon, the time surrounding the Revolution, etc. I expected some well informed French people to direct me to historically interesting buildings and sights, but instead I get this:

“You should find all the sites where the french decided to enter a war then need help from other countries, or where they hide when under attack.”

I was so incensed I reported the jerk for abuse. I only wish I could have strangled him with the French flag while singing “Marseilles” and pouring wine into his eyes. No, no, sorry, what I really wanted to do was tie him to a chair and give him a history lesson. I’m no expert on French history, but I can think of several events where the French did not run and hide, the first being, of course NAPOLEON who conquered most of Europe and is considered, in some circles, to be the first reincarnation of the Antichrist. The second being, of course, the time the French lent us their Navy and military expertise so that we could defeat the British in the War of Independence. The third being the French Underground during WWII—probably the reason this ill informed jerkface thinks the French like to “surrender” is because the government chose to let Hitler take over rather than have him bomb Paris into the ground only for the inevitable to happen. If they hadn’t, all the sights everyone else is suggesting I see would probably have been reduced to rubble. Think about all the buildings in London that are gone, pockmarked or were rebuilt after the Blitz. Personally, I’d rather have the Louvre than the Barbican. Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit: he was probably thinking of the time that France chose to stand up to America's bullying and didn't support the invasion of Iraq. These are the kind of idiots that make my blood boil with their nasty, blinkered, stupid remarks that have NO BASIS in anything other than ignorance. Ah! Viva le France! Death to ignorance!

“Aux armes, citoyens !
Formez vos bataillons !
Marchons, marchons !
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons !”

2 comments:

Laura said...

I like how surrender has been the stereotype of the French for all those who's historical knowledge doesn't go beyond WWII if it extends that far. I'm glad you set the record straight, but red wine in the eyes - not only is that cruel, it's a waste of good wine!

Anonymous said...

You are obviously going to enjoy Paris ! I'm really looking forward to seeing you. I've decided we should go to the Musée Carnavalet, which is the museum of the history of Paris. I think I remember it having some cool Napoleonalia (there's a neologism for you) and I know it's got some great Revolution artefacts.
I'm glad to see the hiatus on here wasn't long, I came back and found I had lots of entertaining blogging to read. Hurrah ! Longing to see you !