Monday, February 27, 2006

Michael Cerveris is a Sexy, Sexy Man

This, my fellow academics, is a plea for help. I have an essay due for my musical theatre class on April 24. Since I'm going to Greece, however, I want to get it finished by the 11th of March. But, the problem is, I don't have a topic. I know that I want to write about Sondheim's Assassins, maybe something to do with the inherent "American-ness" of the piece, i.e, is there something so American about this play that to perform it overseas would prove futile because foreign audiences can't relate to it? Or are there larger themes--and if so, what are they, and if they are there, are they echoed in any other foreign shows?

At least, that's kind of what I want to write about. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd sure appreciate a boost. The Donmar Theatre premiered it in 1992 to fairly good reviews, and there's another one opening in March (which I am going to, come hell or high horses) but, reverently, the Donmar is small enough, popular enough and "fringe-y" enough that it can pretty much damn the torpedoes and pretty much do whatever the hell it wants. Although it might be interesting to compare the reviews here vs. the reviews in New York. "Michael Cerveris is a Sexy, Sexy Man" is not, however, an acceptable essay title.

In other news, Hedwig rehearsals are continuing apace. We've added Yitzhak to the mix now, and having a new performer in the room completely changes the dynamic. My final project slogs onward despite the Muse's attempts to lure me back to bed. Not sure if what I have is high art or just mush. And my stomach keeps growling, even though I fed it lovely roasted eggplant--a receipe I learned from my Greek partner Nico. Laura's the cook, but this one's so easy I thought I'd share:

Slice one eggplant, put in roasting pan. Add zucchini, onions, peppers to taste. Drizzle generously with extra-virgin olive oil. Cover with tin of diced tomatoes (Sainsburys has flavoured ones: tonight I used the garlic and olive oil) Bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 200 degrees Celsius (about 390 Fahrenheit, I think) Add cheese five minutes before you're done and let melt--feta is good, but Red Leicester is also good. Add oregano. Lots of oregano. Handfuls of it. Greeks love oregano. Serve warm with bread and butter or over rice. Try not to think about how good a brat with all the trimmings, baked beans, cheese curds, Point beer and Mackinac island fudge ice-cream would taste right now. Resolve to continue vegetarian lifestyle. Remain strong as roommate maliciously waves bacon cheeseburger under your nose. Console yourself with (slightly hard) home-cookies. :)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hey Nicki-
"Dave" suggests looking at the exporting of American culture and politics through musical theatre, i.e. the themes and storylines of Assasins , Miss Siagon and even Hair and how do these plays function in a culture without the same contextual history as America. What impact do these shows have on a foregin audience?