Friday, March 02, 2007

why am I always on a plane or fast train?

Traveling...but not in love, still I think I'm doing fine. O what a world we live in! I've been turned onto Rufus Wainwright, and I'm completely enamoured of his song "Oh What a World." I had plenty of time to listen to it tonight whilst waiting for the number 53...it picks me up at Westminster, gives me a beautiful view of London as we cross over the Westminster Bridge and then drops me off twenty feet from home. Although I'm not sure it was worth a thirty minute wait tonight. Oh well.

I'm reading "The Talented Mr. Ripley" which is quite good, although I can't get the feeling out of my head that I'm the main character. I love where I'm living, but it has a slightly unreal feel to it since it's so beautiful and unlike anywhere I've ever been. I'm miles away from everyone and most of the people I knew from London are gone or busy. I'm staying out of the way, mostly. I don't want to get too caught up in people's projects and then have to leave in three weeks. Mostly I'm happy, but the cloud of going home hovers over all. It doesn't help that it's Spring! here, full on spring, with daffodils and lilies of the valley and clusters of crocus...

I did get our deposit back today from the apartment (less £25, which I suspect was just the landlord being cranky) so now I have a little breathing room on the money "sitch." And I'm healing nicely from the trauma of moving--I managed to not throw my back out this time, and the blister on my finger is healing nicely. Remember back in October 2005 (see blog archive) when the power went out for three days in my dorm? I used my cup of loose change as a candle holder, so I've had about 25 pence rolling around, stuck together with candlewax. Before I moved I got the brilliant idea of making a little tinfoil boat and holding it over the cooker until the wax melted off the coins. Worked like a charm! I was so impressed with my ingenuity that I tried to pick up a coin before it was quite cool and...yeah. Not the smartest thing I've done. Still, it's just a little bump from the side of the coin--it could have been worse, I could have QE II imprinted in my finger.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

but what an honor to have the Queen's impression...not to the standard of taking tea with her to be sure, but an honor none the less