Saturday, September 27, 2008

get on the bus..I ain't never turning back!

So I was babysitting again today, and I'm not proud to say that I resorted to television a couple times to keep an eye on the girls while I prepared a delicious meal of peanut butter and jelly. But I thought I'd mix things up a little and put on the Doodlebops instead of Dora. The Doodlebops--pay attention new parents, because you'll want to know this--are apparently a trio of siblings who are rock stars of the pre-school variety. IE, they wear crazy-ass makeup and sing repetitive songs all the while talking directly to the camera.

Some of my loyal readers know how I feel about High School Musical and other mass-marketed commercialized crap. It is crap. There's plenty of regular musicals out there for young people, like Newsies or Hairspray, stay away from High School Musical! Hannah Montana, I'm looking at you! But the Doodlebugs get the Nicki stamp of approval because you can see how they are a gateway drug to more hardcore musical interests. Namely, Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself:



See what I mean?



I bet the actors who play the brothers Doodle sit around in the dressing room and fight over lipliner and argue about who looks better in tight pants. Yeah. So I definitely say Doodlebops for everyone...it'll make my job easier when the kids get older and I get them a box set of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice. I heard about them for the first time last week. Apparently they are one of the few musical acts coming to Honolulu this year.