Tuesday, July 15, 2008

If Music Be The Food of Love

One of the best things about my job is the fact that I can listen to music all day, but that makes for some crazy playlists. Today, for example, I listened to Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Original B'way version, in case you were wondering), Roast Beef of Old England and Spring Awakening, a new-ish musical. I think the show is cool and important, but the music is sort of pop/boy-bandish and a little annoying to listen to via headphones.

Roast Beef is the CD I bought to reward myself for having apartment, it's a collection of Navy chanties from Nelson's navy. Some of the songs get stuck in your head, but I haven't quiiite learned all the lyrics yet. That hasn't stopped me from singing as I trot back and forth between the racks though:

Farewell and adieu to you Spanish Ladies,
Farewell and adieu, to you ladies of Spain
For we are commanded to sail for Gibralter
We hope we may shortly see you again.

We'll rant and we'll rave like true British sailors
We'll rant and we'll rave, all on the salt sea.
Until we strike soundings in the channel of old England.
From Ushant to Scilly is thirty-five leagues.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh, I feel so far behind you in my musical theatre repertoire. Hedwig - the Broadway cast!? I just this year downloaded (and paid for- twice, in fact) the Broadway cast of Rocky Horror and I still haven't got over the "Uhhh...it's different. I don't like listening to it"ness. I guess I did just recently download The Who's Tommy and I just now memorized the words to Somewhere from WestSide Story, but I don't even know all the songs from that most basic musical - shameful, I know. And I still haven't seen Sweeney Todd, not to mention not knowing many of the songs on that soundtrack. I do, however know two random songs from the musical Jekyl and Hyde. That's so 1998, I know!
Next thing on my list to become thoroughly acquainted with though - Flash Gordon. You may laugh but I know it will be useful knowledge one day!