Sunday, November 25, 2007

whimper!

I know I posted like, three minutes ago, but after I went to LB to do a little shopping ($238+BOGO+Associate Discount=$85. woot.) I wandered into Macy's. And I just had to post about the FAO Schwartz display--they have a menagerie of life-size stuffed animals, zebras, ponies, baby elephants, etc up on the fourth floor. I was wandered around with a goofy little smile on my face, dodging children, "Did you ever see the faces of the children/they get so excited" from Tommy running through my head, feeling genuinely Christmassy. And then I saw the unicorn. Not exactly life-size (I always pictured them huge), but still huge, horn down, ready to charge into someone's living room. and I just felt really happy that some little kid was going to wake up on Christmas morning and there would be a unicorn in their living room. I couldn't even get cynical about how it was $800 and some spoiled brat who doesn't deserve it will probably be hanging her Gucci clothes off it in five years time, no, I was just really happy thinking about the happy child thirty days from now.

I wandered down to the ground floor where Macy's has a mini-Lush store. Lush is an organic soap store, with fizzy bath salts and henna hair dye, and they also have a store in Covent Garden--which is where I got my Christmas fix last year. So if I closed my eyes and inhaled, I captured the happyness of being in London around Christmas. The lucky sales girl had an easy sell after that.

Then I went home and prepared to cut up eggplant for dinner. Pumpkin spice candle burning merrily in the window, classical music on the radio, and then I sliced right through my thumb. Yeah. It happened that fast. One second I'm thinking about the last time I had eggplant Greek style, the next minute I was dripping blood all over the sink. It's not deep, but it is painful. My left thumb, on the side, nicked the nail. Luckily it's the one finger I don't use when I'm typing so I can update every one on my day. A good day--but I really wish I hadn't ended on such a sore note.

If only I had a real unicorn to heal me with it's magical powers...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Or Dragon's blood...

Laura said...

Oh, I love LUSH products! It's funny how the excitement of the toystore changes when you grow up. Now I get excited about Lush and Burt's Bees the way I used to get excited about Ponnies and stuffed dogs.

Your own blood is considered acceptable to eat if you accidentally get it in some vegetarian food while your cooking - as long as it's your own and not someone else's blood and as long as you're the only one who eats it. Unless the other person who eats it isn't a vegetarian. Then you don't have to tell them, but it if it's a vegetarian you have to say While I was cooking this I accidentally got a lot of my own blood in it. Learned that making Red Beans and rice.

Also, if it makes you feel better, I took myself out for a pasta lunch and got a second degree burn on my wrist from touching the hot ceramic bowl. then my cat bit me on the burn...