Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Being brave

"When I look at all this
How can I call this
Home?" -Parade

Of course, the downside of listening to showtunes all day is that your emotions go for a rollercoaster ride. I’m panicking slightly today, because the name tag for my cubicle arrived, and I’m feeling a bit trapped. With the job, and this city is so small. Tomorrow I have a day off, and I don’t really want to not work. Everyone is very friendly here. Yesterday a man on the train talked about the breakup of the Soviet Union and how Mikhail Gorbachev was a very misunderstood politician. But how do you make friends? How do you meet people when you work in an office all day—when you don’t have a new show opening in three weeks? How do you run into new faces and mix up your circle of acquaintances? It’s so much easier to sequester myself in museums and coffeeshops. Now I’m missing friends, missing London, and I don’t want to stay home tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are one of the few people in this country who would ever conceive of calling Chicago small.