Sunday, May 04, 2008

Marl: noun

Marl is what they use to pave the pathways at CW. It is made out of crushed seashells and is environmentally friendly--the shells come from fisheries, and back in the day they were probably tossed out the back door of the tavern--and also practical. Since marl is white, it reflects the moonlight and you can see your way late at night when it's dark and there are no lamps. Also, when it rains, the entire historical area smells like the sea. I was walking to the library today, grumbling about the marl getting into my sandals, when I realised that this probably wasn't a problem back then, since people didn't wear sandals, they wore shoes. One more reason to get into period costume, I guess.

I don't have any major news today...I'm writing about crushed seashells, for peete's sake, so you know it's been a quiet week. I'm secretly hoping the lovely, seventy-five degree weather will turn cold and rainy so I'll have an excuse to stay inside and watch more of "Carnivale" but I suspect that's not going to happen. I am working on a little headache. It's nowhere near migraine magnitude, but it's located in the same part of the brain, and I'm worried that it's going to take off in a bit. I probably didn't help things much by stopping at the Blue Talon Bistro for French french toast, which was so rich I went blind temporarily as my body diverted all of its attention to digesting. Worth it? Oh yes.

Oh! I also dyed my hair red. Yay! It's not quite "Bell Watling" but it's a marked improvement.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder how many thousands of booted feet it would take to crush those shells into a fine, powder white sand.

Speaking of sand...I will get you your black beach sand someday before I head back mainland...