Sunday, April 09, 2006

order design tension harmony


The reason for this burst of sudden poetry was a recent "exhibit" by an artist named Jenny Holtzer. She was commissioned by the city of London to project poetry on famous London landmarks, such as the National Gallery. Being in a wordy place right now, I thought I would go and see the art at Covent Garden last night...I was surprised how "low tech" it was...Ms. Holtzer had set up a projector on the ground and anyone could stroll right by and watch the art, or ignore it, or stand in front of the light...but if you took a few moments, you were exposed to poetry in an entirely new way. The poems were scrolled onto St. Paul's at an even rate--there was no cheating ahead and reading the end, you had to take the poem at the poem's own pace. In that way it was kind of like a movie, only more interactive because you had to read. I quite liked it. I didn't get to stay too long since I was due elsewhere, but I would have liked to have gotten a glass of wine and watched for awhile.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Cool. I wish I could check it out. What is she saying in her poems?