Monday, April 03, 2006

labour pains of ruv

Someone once compared writing to giving birth. I disagree: it's like being in labour. First you get this little pain--"oops, it's time to sit down and write!" but then you have to spend a couple hours working up to actually writing. Fits and spurts. So you sit and think, then you get up and pace, then you rearrange your desk, then you have a cup of coffee, then you water your plants...maybe back to your desk once or twice when you feel a really big urge to write...but it always goes away and now it's time to go make another cup of coffee or scream at your roommates when they interrupt you. Because you really can't rush the muse ("you did this to me, you basaaaaarrgh!") as much as you'd like to finish draft five and put in "Twin Peaks." I'm sitting here now, in the midst of revising (I've no doubt, when the time comes for me to be in actual labour I will spend a great deal of it surfing the internet.) waiting for that next contraction to strike--I've got the main character recovered from a stabbing wound, but her other half has exited, so it's either break a convention and have her talk or...or wait until the muse comes back again.

Damnit, ROGER, hurry up.

Kind of exciting, isn't it? Watching me write? I know that it's unusual to say the least--writing being such a solitary thing--that to suddenly have me pop up in the middle of a draft and say hello.

Oh-oh-oh, wait....

nope, false alarm.

hmm....I wonder if I have any cake left...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Mmm cake... Revising sounds like redoing stuff for you portfolio. Hmmm Cause that's what I should be doing right now. But I'd rather say hello to you and say thanks for the glimpse in to the writing process. :)

Peter said...

Wow, you have such a nicer life than I do right now. Its so vibrant and lively. Its 1:30 AM and I'm doing thermodynamics. fun. Anyway I'm glad your 475th vacation went well. I went to Green Bay the other weekend. That was fun. Anyway you should use IM, thats all I got since my computer shit out on me. Ok, I'm having problems typing now, later sis.