Thursday, April 27, 2006

The best song in the world!



You are Jack Twist. Energetic, creative, and clever, you use your ideas and enthusiasm in life yet remain a slave to your passions.

Submit comments of appropriateness below!

I'm listening to Tenacious D right now because the song I really want to listen to is not with me. I want Queen "It's Late" which I have, I have two albums that contain this song. The album I chose to burn into my computer, "Queen Rocks" (yes, yes they do) was scratched on this song, and News of the World awaits me on the other side of t' pond. Frustration! I would NEVER suggest that any of my loyal readers stoop to piracy, but if someone could send me this song I would be so grateful.

Today I went on a prowl...John suggested I try exploring multicultural parts of the city, so I hopped on the Tube and headed for Whitechapel. I decided to combine business and pleasure and stopped off at the Royal London Hospital Museum first, which is a tiny but tidy room in the basement of a local church. This is where Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man, lived for the last years of his life, so they had a little information about him, including the model of the church that he built. Which was actually a pre-printed model, I learned. There was also a little picture frame containing a part of George Washington's dentures, which sent me into spasms of historical joy. These were the false choppers that Washington wore when he was discussing the founding of our great nation, people! I think I might have to start a book about random American items in London and where to find them.

Walking down the street towards Brick Lane was interesting. I passed dozens of women in full purdah, completely covered except for their eyes, but most of them were pushing your basic British baby stroller: huge, swathed in a rain shield, and containing a small explosion of pink or blue. (I've noticed people here are very excited to declare their baby's sex. I can't wait to have kids and dress them in green just to mess with the system) The reason I was heading for Brick Lane can be summed up in one word: CURRY. Brick Lane has a large Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi population, and they also have the highest concentration of curry in London. I was sucked into a small restaurant and consumed an absolutely obscene amount of curry (just the right amount of spice and coriander, with hot fresh nan bread, drool) before prowling on. Then I headed to Bethnal Green, to watch the people, the shops and the houses. Unfortunately, the children's museum is closed until August, so I didn't get to see Victorian toys. Probably a good thing, since anymore unexpected historical artefacts were likely to give me a coronary.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Brokeback got us good don't it. What do we do now? (sigh) I doubt there's nothing we can do. You got your play and histories in London and I'm stuck with what I got here. Making a living's about all I got time for now.

-hehe, I'm a dork!
John Merrick - you mean the man played by John Hurt in the movie the Elephant Man!

Sarah said...

But not a real green outfit...that would be cruel.

Nicki said...

Actually it is Joseph Merrick...Dr. Treves screwed it up in his book.

John Hurt also narrated the documentary they were showing, which I thought was funny since it included clips of the movie. And was fantastically historically inaccurate.