Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Greece in Pictures


Rock star sunglasses-the perfect souvenir!

The ancient agora--the meeting and marketplace of the men of Athens--with the temple of Hephastos, the smithy god.

Plaka--a small pedestrian area with lots of shopping, small cafes, and dogs the size of ponies.

Me, Lisa and Lisa, standing under some Easter flowers.

The Athens Metro--clean functional, and, like the rest of the city, full of historical artefacts.

The Acropolis is the highest place in the city, rising up out of the modern buildings. On top is the Parthenon, two theatres, and several other smaller temples.

Hey, Nicki, where's the theatre of Dionysos?! Good girl!

The Theatre of Dionysos.

The Parthenon, smugly secure as it poses for another picture.

Lisa and I pause for another photo before the final ascent.

The city of Athens is an undulating sea of white buildings, shimmering in the sun.

In front of the Parthenon, two rock stars!

Me, celebrating climbing to the top of a slippery outcropping of marble to take a picture.

Lisa and (drool) Greek salad.

Lisa's university. She assured us that she didn't actually have classes in this building, which is probably a good thing. If I went to school there I'd be wandering around all the time going "damn! this is a beautiful building! oh, nuts, I'm late for class...oh well, look at this gorgeous building!"

Evzone, the ceremonial guards outside the Parliament building. My guidebook tells me that the 400 pleats in their skirts symbolise 400 years of Turkish oppression. Ernest Hemingway called them "fighting men in ballet dresses." I call them "hot."

Sunset by Athen's beach. About an hour ride away from our hotel--refreshing after spending 5 days in a city!

A seaside stroll at sunset.

The National Gardens...laid out in the 1840s by Queen Amelia, now a shady place to relax in the middle of the city.

Lisa, Lisa and me on the ferry to Aegina.

Try and not think about "The Little Mermaid" when you see this picture...go on, I defy you.

The beach at Agia Marina.

Graffiti in Plaka...pretty!

From the top of the Acropolis...it's a long way down!

Lisa invited Lisa and me over for dinner one Sunday...I got out of helping to clean up by taking pictures.

Lisa gives Lisa a lesson in an ancient Greek scratching technique as we wait for the ferry.

Aegina, a small island in the Aegean Sea.

Caution, hotties on the beach!

Lisa was quick to point out that if my vacation was a movie, this would be the poster.

Right before I took this picture I was waxing philosophical about how nine years ago I traveled to Germany and got blisters because I didn't have the right shoes...and now I was in Greece getting jellyfish bites. how cool am I?

Agia Marina, a small town where I took a couple days off.

Paradise Aegina.

The temple of Aphaia on Aegina

Self-portrait: tanned!

Agia, again

Okay, that took me about two hours, and that's not even a tenth of the pictures I have...but I hope you enjoyed it.

3 comments:

Laura said...

your photos are so cute! I wish I could have been there with you! It looks so nice and peaceful - and warm! I'm freezing!

Sarah said...

The pics were unbelievably gorgeous! I'm so glad you got to Greece and had a blast. Wish I coul've seen the Dionysian theatre, but eventually.

Chris said...

Wow you got some great pictures out of your trip. It also looks like you had a lot of fun. I think one day we all need to go run amok at the Dionysian Theater. Can I nominate Athens for a future Family Reunion Spot. Like in 20 years or so??