Friday, October 24, 2008

Fire at will

Loyal readers, I am so glad it's Friday. You have no idea. It's just been...a long week. I spent all day today working on my stays. They are coming along, but seven hours spent staring at anything is enough to drive you up the wall. Hopefully another couple of hours or so and they'll be ready for fitting...

The militia captain didn't even bother putting me on cannon today; instead I fell in with the boy's company--some of the fife & drum kids who are cleared to fire guns. I felt pretty dorky since I was a) the only woman and b) at least ten years older than anyone in the ranks. But we got the order to fire independently today, so for a few minutes I got to load and fire as quickly as I could. So. Much. Fun. And quite stress-relieving, even if I did have a couple of misfires. Nothing more disheartening than a quick "fssst" and no "bang!" Luckily my last shot cleared the musket...and I marched better than the guys in rank with me--keep in mind the fife & drummers start marching when they're about ten. Whoo.

I wanted to take a picture of my hand because it looked so cool covered in black powder, but I had to fish something out of Kizzy's mouth when I took him for a walk when I got home. I don't want to know what it was, but it necessitated lots of anti-bacterial handwashing. I can tell he's a little squirrelly tonight too. Well, he's been in his crate all day, fair play, but I'm exhausted. He's starting to bark more, which is worrying. Jumping, nipping, climbing on the furniture--okay, it's all annoying, but not a deal breaker. Barking on the other hand is verboten. Tomorrow we're going to go for a walk around the historical area. That's always a good time, especially when Shilling the magazine Cat intimidates him into running away.

No comments: