Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thinking fiscally

All right. Time for a serious debate. As most of my loyal readers know, I am a huge Anglophile. I want to go back to London worse than anything. Various reasons have prevented me going, mostly, money and time.

Suddenly the stars are aligning. Last night I was working on my taxes, and if TurboTax is to be believed, I will be getting over a thousand dollars back. Thank you, stimulus package, also actually working full time for a year for a change. Flights to London are dropping in price--I could go for under $500, including taxes. I have just about enough vacation time to take a week off. And--I just heard from not one but two friends that they'll be in London at the end of May. Arg.

The tradeoff, of course, is that I would not be going home to Wisconsin to see my family until October. And I really ought to act responsibly, put that tax return into my bank account and save it for a rainy day. With that money I could fly home to see everyone, and still have some left over for a really nice massage. Also, my computer has been dying a slow death, so there's that to worry about.

I have until April 15th to hand in my vacation requests. I really want to go to London. I really, really want to go. For once, though, I'm actually thinking something through. Maybe I'm growing up. I don't want people to think I'm choosing London over them, but...I really want to go. And I honestly don't know what I should do. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I feel you and since I am one of the two friends going to London I shouldn't say anything, but, please,be there!!!

Anonymous said...

Nicki, this is Melissa Nash. I read your blog often, and was excited to see your post about going to London. How near the end of May will you be there (notice the word "will" in that question - it's pretty obvious what my vote is)? I will be in London in very early June (June 6th). If you are still there on June 6th, I would love to see you!

And now you should be saying to yourself, "Hell, if Melissa's going, I should go!" The stars always align for London!