Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Just one thing.

I just want to say this, and then I'll get off my soapbox: I am really bloody tired of people referring to the $50 million earmarked in the current stimulus bill to go to the National Endowment for the Arts as "pork spending."

Attention people in Washington: THIS IS NOT PORK. You can either pay people to do their work and have a vibrant, thriving cultural America, or you can have a bunch of out of work, depressed artists on welfare. Your choice.

I haven't read the fine print on this bill, but the GOP must really be scratching at the bottom of the barrel if that is one of the programs they come up with as "pork." Oh, that and money for Planned Parenthood, which will of course immediately go to terminating pregnancies left and right and nevermind about preventing unwanted babies. Because women who are unable to afford daycare and so unable to go to work and therefore on welfare are a much better solution than handing out condoms.

Okay, I'm done. I'm just saying. I don't particularly like the idea of a stimulus package, but hey, isn't this why we all signed the "contract" with our government, so they could take care of us in our time of need? I don't want much--me, I'm okay with what I've got. There are a lot of people out there who are a lot worse off than me, who desperately need a little more cash on hand. I just want enough to be able to buy hair dye and maybe go out for sushi. Yeah. If this bill passes, I guess I'll get something. If it's another $300, I'm spending it on a plane ticket to come home to You.

1 comment:

Peter said...

To me? Awesome. I like the soapbox, but condoms don't prevent pregnancy, apes with guns do. How's Virginia treating ya? Glad you found out what a fuse was, I should've gone over some stuff while you were here, maybe next time.